Skip to content
- 400g puff pastry
- egg wash, (1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tbsp milk)
- 80g emmenthal or parmesan, freshly grated
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to a 28 x 12cm rectangle, about 2mm thick.
- Roll it loosely over the rolling pin and unroll it onto the prepared baking tray.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
- Brush the entire surface of the pastry with eggwash and sprinkle over the grated cheese evenly.
- Mix the paprika and cayenne together and dust it over the surface.
- Use a cook’s knife to trim the edges of the pastry, then halve it lengthways to make 2 bands, each measuring 14 x 12cm.
- Cut each piece into 1cm wide strips, making 24 straws in all.
- Lift each cheese straw with a palette knife, hold both ends and twist them 6 times in opposite directions to make a spiral.
- Put the straws on a baking sheet and bake for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and immediately transfer to a wire rack carefully.
- Leave to cool slightly.
- Arrange the cheese straws in a tall goblet or on a plate and serve, preferably while still warm.