You could make this recipe using pheasants if you prefer.
Serves 6 hungry people:
- 6 partridges
- 4 or 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 thick rashers streaky bacon, diced
- 4 small or two large onions
- 4 garlic cloves sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns,
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 5 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- one pint game or chicken stock
- salt & pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 C.
- Heat a heavy oven-proof casserole with the olive oil.
- Place the partridges in it and brown on all sides and then remove.
- Add the bacon.
- Peel and finely chop the onion, frying with the bacon until opaque in the casserole.
- Add the garlic, then the carrots and peppercorns.
- Sauté gently for 7 or 8 minutes until the onions are opaque.
- Put the partridges back into the casserole, adding the bay leaves, a small pinch of salt, the thyme, white wine, vinegar and stock.
- Cover and simmer in a medium oven for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Remove them to a hot serving dish.
- A little cream or crème fraîche can be added at the last minute for a luxurious creamy finish.
- Serve on piping hot plates with a spoonful or two of the sauce and some creamy mashed potato.