A very easy and very delicious way of presenting vegetables.
Serves about 50 pieces
- 1 large egg yolk or 2 small
- 12 fl oz or 340 ml iced water
- 8 oz 225 g plain flour
- a pinch of salt
- Vegetables such as courgettes, mushrooms, cauliflower, asparagus, or peppers, cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine ingredients and mix well. It should not be smooth.
- Use batter almost straight away.
- Dip the vegetable pieces one at a time, in the batter and shallow fry in clean oil.
- Place on kitchen towel to dry after cooking. It is a very “thin” batter, and the vegetable’s colour will show through after cooking.
- They can be used as a vegetable or as nibbles.
- This batter is equally good for things like prawns.